1. How do I set up Parental Controls with the Genie?
For instructions on enabling and configuring Parental Controls on the Genie, see this article on NETGEAR's website: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25687/~/how-to-configure-live-parental-control-on-my-netgear-router.
2. What is Live Parental Controls powered by OpenDNS?
Live Parental Controls powered by OpenDNS allows you to configure content filtering on your network. You can block more than 50 different categories of sites for your entire network or for individual users.
3. What is the Bypass Account feature? How does it work?
Bypass Accounts allow you to create separate filtering profiles for users on your network. For example, you can create an alternative bypass log in for yourself or another user and assign less restrictive content filtering settings while others on your network have a more restrictive setting. If creating Bypass Accounts, please make sure that the default profile setting is set to the most restrictive filtering level.
4. What is time of day blocking?
Time of day block allows you to configure content filtering that changes according to the specific time intervals. Time blocks can be set in 15 minute increments. As an example, you can block certain categories from 5 PM to 8 PM and use the 'All other times' setting for the rest of the day.
Please make sure you set your local time zone correctly through the Live Parental Controls account settings page.
6. What is DNS?
DNS stands for Domain Name System. DNS translates website names into IP addresses so that other computers can understand what site is trying to be reached. For more technical information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System.
7. Why am I no longer seeing my ISP's error page?
Bundled with the Live Parental Controls powered by OpenDNS is the Netgear search page, which helps direct you to the site you were attempting to reach. We may be disabling the search page in upcoming months for Netgear customers.
8. Can I customize the search page?
No, it is not possible to customize the search pages at this time. We may be disabling the search page in upcoming months for Netgear customers.
9. Why am I receiving a SERVFAIL message when trying to go to a site?
The SERVFAIL message indicates that the site you are attempting to reach is not currently loading due to technical issues with the hosted site. You may want to try and contact the site administrator regarding this issue or try again later.
10. Why am I receiving an NXDOMAIN error message?
The NXDOMAIN message indicates that the site you are trying to reach does not currently exist. Please check to make sure you are entering a valid domain. Please see this page on NXDOMAINs for further information.
11. Is logging or stats available with this service?
No, unfortunately stats and logging are not available at this time.
12. How do I prevent users from using proxy/anonymizer sites to bypass the filtering?
You can block proxy/anonymizer sites as a category in the category filtering section of the dashboard. This will block those sites, thus preventing users from bypassing the filtering.
13. I am having trouble connecting to a printer or local machine. What can I do?
Due to the way DNS works, you should query internal domains, computers or machines, such as printers, by their IP address instead of their host name.
14. Where do you get your list of domains for the Live Parental Controls service?
Live Parental Control is powered by OpenDNS. OpenDNS uses a number of sources for domain and category data including the community run domain tagging system.
15. How can I report false positives or add uncategorized domains to the blocking list?
You can flag domains for review or submit new domains on the OpenDNS website at https://community.opendns.com/.
16. I am receiving the error message "The device is registered with another OpenDNS user." What should I do?
Your device may already be registered to another account. Please contact support at email@example.com for more information if you feel this is in error. Please be sure to include the MAC address of the device from a screenshot from the NETGEAR router's configuration page at http://routerlogin.net to expedite this process.
If registering from an iOS or Android device, register instead from a PC or Mac using the NETGEAR Genie from http://www.netgear.com/genie.
17. I have a dynamic IP address. What should I do if my IP changes?
You do not need to worry about your IP changing, as this is handled entirely by the router. Your preferences will be applied even if your IP changes.
18. What does the error "Router not found" mean?
NETGEAR Live Parental Controls powered by OpenDNS is currently supported on the WNR2000 Wireless-N Router running firmware 220.127.116.11 or newer.
Please verify that you are connecting to the internet through a supported router by going to http://www.routerlogin.net to verify router model, firmware version and update the firmware if necessary.
19. What does the error "Failed to load User Accounts" mean?
The user utility was unable to detect any user profiles in the account associated with this router. If you have not already done so, you may create user profiles by clicking "Manage Users" in the dashboard.
If you have already set up user profiles, please verify the account associated with your router by running the Management Utility and checking the account listed on the status page.
20. My Internet connection/DNS is no longer working after disabling Live Parental Controls. What should I do?
This may be due to your ISP providing static DNS server IPs rather than dynamic. Please go to http://routerlogin.net and set the DNS servers to the DNS IP addresses provided by your ISP.