This information is for those who want to change some of the OpenDNS default settings or view statistics about your DNS usage. For instance, using web content filtering requires a network, which requires an IP address. Knowing more about dynamic IP addresses is useful, especially for home users.
Know enough about dynamic IPs already? Want to get it done? Do the following:
- Create an account and login to your Dashboard.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Add a network using your current IP address (displayed on the page).
- Click your new network's IP address to access its settings.
- Click "Advanced Settings" on the left.
- Check the box to "Enable dynamic IP update." Be sure to apply your settings at the bottom of the page.
- Learn how to keep your address updated. If you don't keep the IP updated, your preferences will not be applied, and your statistics will not be collected — although you will still be using OpenDNS.
- Download, install and run the Dynamic IP Updater client on a computer that is powered on 24/7, or started up daily and does not leave your home network.
Multiple networks with dynamic IP addresses in a single network are supported. Learn more.