Does this article apply to me?
You may use OpenDNS as is without ever reading this page.
This information is for those who want to change some of the OpenDNS default settings or view statistics about your DNS usage. For instance, using web content filtering requires a network, which requires an IP address. Knowing more about dynamic IP addresses is useful, especially for home users.
Know enough about dynamic IPs already? Want to get it done? Do the following:
- Create an account and login to your Dashboard.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Add a network using your current IP address (displayed on the page).
- Click your new network's IP address to access its settings.
- Click "Advanced Settings" on the left.
- Check the box to "Enable dynamic IP update." Be sure to apply your settings at the bottom of the page.
- Learn how to keep your address updated. If you don't keep the IP updated, your preferences will not be applied, and your statistics will not be collected — although you will still be using OpenDNS.
- Download, install and run the Dynamic IP Updater client on a computer that is powered on 24/7, or started up daily and does not leave your home network.
Multiple networks with dynamic IP addresses in a single network are supported. Learn more.
How to maintain Umbrella on Networks with Dynamic IP Addresses
The majority of home, small school, and small business networks typically are provisioned by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that issue a dynamic IP address when defining each unique Internet network. Chances are if you're not sure if you have a static IP address- you almost certainly have a dynamic IP.
Dynamic IP address means that the 'public' IP of your network will change over time when the 'lease' for that IP address changes. Your IP may stay the same for several weeks but the lease will eventually expire and be given to another customer of your ISP.
When the IP you've registered with Umbrella changes, the Umbrella security settings will not apply as it no longer matches the information on your account.
To avoid this, we recommend installing the OpenDNS Dynamic IP Updater onto at least one computer within the network that you've registered in the Umbrella.
In Umbrella's Network Configuration (Configuration > Identities > Networks) select the Network identity that's on a dynamic IP and ensure the checkbox named Dynamic is selected.
For ease and greatest consistency, download an Dynamic IP Updater client onto at least one computer in the network, according to these guidelines:
- The computer should be stationary to the network and not a laptop (only used in the network on which you are configuring OpenDNS).
- The computer should always be powered on (or turned on before any other computers log on to the network.)
The Dynamic IP Updater client automates the discovery and registration of a network's IP address to your OpenDNS account whenever the IP address should change.
This ensures consistent protection provided by your OpenDNS settings to your network and to all computers and devices that connect to your network.