The following discusses cases when using NETGEAR Live Parental Controls (LPC) or when configuring OpenDNS on computers individually when the router is not configured. We strongly recommend configuring OpenDNS on a router rather than a single computer if possible to maintain working network printers and devices.
Netgear Live Parental Controls (LPC):
The same concept applies to LPC users too:
- Log into your Netgear Dashboard at http://netgear.opendns.com
- Click Account Settings
- Click Typo Exceptions
- Add your network printer and flush your caches
- Please visit the Netgear LPC article: Can't Access Local Network Device such as a Printer, File Server, ETC for more details:
The printer's IP address can be mapped in your Operating System's host file with the printer's network name, this will manually connect to your printer without having to use the VPN Exceptions list. However, the printer must have a static IP address, because if the printer is given a new IP address, then the host file will need to be re-modified.
Windows 7 or earlier Host File:
- click Start -> type notepad -> right-click the application and choose Run as Administrator
- click file -> open -> navigate to c:/windows/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts (you may need to set the filetype to all)
- add a new line for the printer similar to the example above
Windows 8 and 8.1:
- click the start button in the bottom left to enter tile mode
- type notepad to search for the program
- right-click the app and click
- use the above steps to navigate and edit the host file
OS X (any version), Linux, Ubuntu...:
- Open your terminal window and type the following command (an administrator password may be required). You can substitute nano for any other editor, usually typing edit for OSX or gedit for linux or ubuntu desktop will open in a gui editor.
sudo nano /etc/hosts
- add a line similar to the example above for your network printer
- if using nano, press control+x on your keyboard simultaneously to save the file
After the above steps are completed, flush your browser and DNS cache by following the instructions below: