Configuring the WiFi Settings
- Pull down the notification bar and click on Wireless
- In your Wifi list, tap your network once to show the connection status window and note the IP address assigned to your Kindle
- Click cancel and Tap & Hold the same WiFi network and click Advanced Settings
- Choose the option "Use Static IP" and some additional fields will display to complete. You're almost done!
- Use the following information to complete the Advanced Settings page
- IP Address: Use the IP address noted in Step 2
- Router: This is also known as the "wireless gateway" or the IP address to log into the router's configuration page. This can be found in your router's manual. Typically, most routers will use the first three parts of the address (a.k.a octets) with the last being number 1.
For example, if the first three octets of the IP address you noted in Step 2 starts with 192.168.2.xxx, then the router's address is probably 192.168.2.1
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- DNS 1 & 2: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
Save your settings and reboot your device to flush the device's caches.
This will only set up OpenDNS for the network you chose in the Kindle Fire's wifi list. If the device connects to a different WiFi, repeat the steps above for the new network.
CANNOT CONNECT TO INTERNET:
If for any reason the Kindle cannot connect to the Internet after applying OpenDNS to your WiFi advanced settings. Repeat steps 1 - 4 and disable STATIC IP. Save (if possible) and reboot the device. The issue could be an incorrect IP address for the router, which would need to referenced in the router's manual.
Test your Kindle
To ensure that OpenDNS is working for your device, visit http://welcome.opendns.com and you will be greeted with a welcome message to show that you're all set! To further test this, go to http://internetbadguys.com to test the block page.
Please feel free to contact us at http://support.opendns.com if you need any additional assistance. Using the steps at http://www.take-a-screenshot.org, attach screenshots of the advanced settings page on your Kindle and submit them with your support ticket.