Unblocking a mobile (cell) signal booster

Comments

5 comments

  • Avatar
    mattwilson9090

    Are you using the free OpenDNS Home service, or a Netgear router with LPC (Live Parental Controls)? The home service does not work with devices, only devices requests from the entire network. LPC has a capability to manage devices, but I think you have to install agent software, so you probably couldn't do that either.

    Assuming you are using the home service you should look in your logs to see what is blocked. That might provide you some guidance in figuring out what you need to whitelist, or what category (or categories) you don't want to block on a custom setting.

    As an experiment you could also setup custom, block all the categories that Low blocks, and then disabled them one by one until it works. Just remember, if you do that you need to flush the DNS cache after each change (most likely by power cycling your router and femto cell). That will at least confirm what category you need to be looking at when looking at your logs.

    This is of course assuming that the femtocell is addressing something by domain name. If it's using an IP address OpenDNS has nothing to do with it

    You might have to contact your mobile provider to find out what domains, if any, this device uses. You might also be able to look in your router logs to see what the femto cell is trying to contact.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    gewitty

    I'm using the free OpenDNS Home service currently, with a D-Link DSL-2640R router which I'll be swapping for a BT fibre Hub in a couple of days.

    I'll switch on the OpenDSL logging service and keep an eye on what that tells me. The idea of using custom blocks and switching them off progressively is worth trying also.

    Following my initial post, I noticed an odd behaviour by the femtocell: I tried powering off both the router and the femtocell and found that when they came back on the cell signal was working. However, about an hour later it disappeared again and I had to recycle both units again. Currently it seems to be holding up, but the fact that the loss of signal is apparently intermittent puzzles me as this points to something other than OpenDNS being the cause.

    I'll wait until I have the new router and fibre connection up and running, then see if the problem persists or disappears.

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    cobalt-phoenix

    Correct, it doesn't seem to be an OpenDNS problem, but that your provider blocks 3rd party DNS services generally.  The following diagnostic command can reveal this problem:

       nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com.  208.67.220.220

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    gewitty

    The results of the nslookup don't seem to indicate any problem:

    nslookup -type=txt which.opendns.com. 208.67.220.220
    Server: 208.67.220.220
    Address: 208.67.220.220#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    which.opendns.com text = "9.lon"

    I'll keep an eye on things after I install the new fibre router on Monday.

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    cobalt-phoenix

    Correct, your provider does not prevent you from using OpenDNS.  You must have done a configuration error when you configured the OpenDNS resolver addresses.  Or the device where you configured the OpenDNS resolver addresses is unimpressed about the configuration.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.