More details about installing DNSCrypt...

Comments

8 comments

  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    Did you install the GUI? Better get rid of it.

    Download the latest dnscrypt-proxy from http://download.dnscrypt.org/dnscrypt-proxy/ and extract it.

    You will login as an admin once, then from a command prompt window:

    dnscrypt-proxy.exe --install

    That's it! If you want to configure more customization, proceed as described at http://dnscrypt.org/ or https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/blob/master/README-WINDOWS.markdown

  • Avatar
    gordon451

    Thanks rotblitz, I'll give it a go.

    I have not installed anything, so the GUI isn't a problem.  Yet.

    Gordon.

  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    Forgot to say...

    Not sure if the dnscrypt-proxy is still compatible with Win2k.

    You must configure your TCP/IPv4 DNS settings to point to 127.0.0.1 as the only DNS server then, after you installed it as service. This is where the dnscrypt-proxy is listening.

  • Avatar
    jedisct1

    It is.

    My Windows development platform is still Windows XP.

  • Avatar
    jedisct1

    Oh, just realized that Windows XP was released after Windows 2000. So, no, don't expect it to work on Windows 2000. At least it has never been tested on it.

  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    Yep, this is what I meant. You rarely find a Win2k version anyway anymore. One has to test it. There's a 75% chance that it works if it works with Windows XP.  There's even a small chance of 25% that it works under 98SE and ME, although it can't be run as a service, just interactively.
    And it works on XP, I can confirm it! :) XP has been released just one and a half year after 2000.

  • Avatar
    jedisct1

    Still, if you are still running Windows 2000, you are likely to be vulnerable to many security issues far more important than unauthenticated DNS queries.

    And don't expect Microsoft to fix any of them; it's been unsupported since 2010.

  • Avatar
    gordon451

    I didn't actually mean that dnscrypt-proxy should deploy on W2K, it's just in my list of workable M$ solutions.

    I totally understand jedisct1's comment about support for W2K, OTOH I only abandoned it early last year after the box itself developed senile dementia.  So as nobody has W2K drivers, I had to migrate (I will never call it "upgrade") to W7.  And of course, W2K never supported multiple cores...

    I did find that things like .net and Visual Studio needed upgrading, but otherwise W2K was quite competent.  But it's history now.  (Quiet sobbing is heard...)

    Gordon.

Please sign in to leave a comment.