I know is supposed to be considered under "Tasteless" category, but I've found some people before have brought this onto the table, without a real solution fitting both the community tagging process, but not the issues the people trying to spot these kind of sites, because we have (for example) a familiar situation in which we are more worried about Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia than mutilation or "horror".
I see the Tasteless category is just catching too many issues at the time, and not even looking into the plus than 16 thousand sites tagged with it (some of it since 2009 and not even online yet), just reading by the "definition".
Sites that contain information on such subjects as:
- mutilation, torture, horror,... (better for "Snuff" category?)
- or the grotesque... .(here seems to be the problem, some people think VK is grotesque, and many other sites not related in any way to violence applauding sites)
- Includes Pro-Anorexia... (what about Bulimics? and other kind of disorders related to calories ingestion, and not towards snuff or horror?)
- and Pro-Suicide related sites. (I think I have a point, you tell me, Eating Disorders seems to be better defined and differentiated than this and just mixing Suicide, snuff-like-stuff, is not in any way helping to a effective community-powered identification of these sites).
FWIW, you can see through the forums than previously have been differentiated categories, which in some minds can be "just the same thing", but not if you look into it more closely:
- Lingerie/Bikini VS Nudity VS Sexuality VS Pornography (they are not just the same kind of "Hot Sites" right?).
- Chat VS Instant Messaging VS Social Networking.
- Social Networking VS Photo Sharing VS Video Sharing
(in FB my daughter share photos and videos, but i won't put in the same bag Pinterest, Youtube and twitter).
- P2P/File Sharing VS File Storage
(is the same Google Docs than kickasstorrents?)
- Radio VS Music
(you hear all of them, but are not the same).
- Ecommerce not the same as Auctions.
And so on. I'm sure if you read some emo blogs, they could be horrific, pro-ana and even pro-suicide, but if at some time Tasteless seemed to be a good to "catch all that dislikable stuff", I don't see how they really fit together given the examples above of better differentiation of contents related but not equivalent.
I bet I'm not the first to feel overwhelmed by the stuff lots of people are throwing at Tasteless just because, i.e., they've seen 3 years ago a picture they disliked, but I'm sure people looking to help each other to spot sites about Eating Disorders would be most helpful to the community.
Of course, I can go for modifying my hosts file (on every device in my network, nah, better building a home appliance for $20),or buying umbrella or HomeVIP support. And many people can do it even better, for sure, but the point here is helping the community and therefore helping ourselves and helping others, by easing the identification process.
A final appeal, here in México we have a proverb: "Aunque todo es del mismo barro, no es lo mismo bacín, que jarro." The aproximated translation would: "Although they are from the same clay, is not the same potty chair than mug."
Please sign in to leave a comment.