OpenDNS interferes with SmartTV access to NetFlix

Comments

34 comments

  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    "put the never block entry in, didn't fix NetFlix, unckecked the Adware and Web Spam categories, NetFlix worked, posted here."

    Well, in this case it wasn't worth posting here, because everything was said and was known already, right?  Especially as you said "So while it sucks it can't help block more Adware and Web Spam", it was not really something useful in addition.

    I pointed out what should be the case to make it more useful.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    lan12

    I had this problem for the past few weeks...Netflix seems to have randomly stopped working on all of my devices (Nexus Player, FireTV Stick, Wii). This fix worked for me: Some of these steps might not be necessary...but this is exactly what I did to get Netflix to work again.

    1. I uninstalled Netflix from my device.
    2. I added services.wmdrm.windowsmedia.com (apparently to allow silverlight to work?) and Netflix.com to my "never block" sites in Open DNS. (https://login.opendns.com/?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fdashboard.opendns.com%2Fsettings%2F42278486%2Fcontent_filtering)
    3. I turned off Open DNS completely (on my router there is a toggle switch for this).
    4. I reinstalled and opened Netflix on my device...and waited until it worked.
    5. I turned on Open DNS again (on the router).
    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    @lan12

    This is a duplicate of your other comment in a different thread.  Why this?

    And again, whitelisting makes sense only in case something is actually blocked.  Blindly whitelisting is of no use, as most likely in your case.

    According to the other thread "I reinstalled and opened Netflix on my device...and waited until it worked" was the solution, because Netflix had to change their app (and their DNS).  That is why it works again, not because of the other measures you took.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    lan12

    @rotblitz, thanks for your interest in hearing the logic on why and how I shared my solution.

    I copied the comment to this thread because the issue was the same in both threads...and since my steps allowed me to solve the issue, I thought it might help someone else someday. Putting it in both threads will help people with the issue who find one thread, or the other, so they can try the solution that worked for me. Hopefully it will also work for them...because that was why I shared it.

    The simple reinstallation of the app didn't work for me, so it is possible that your solution might not work for everyone who has a problem that presents itself in this way.

    Despite your opinion to the contrary, I feel that OpenDNS was blocking something just prior to the login screen. I clearly stated that some of the steps I took, that worked, might not be necessary for others. Perhaps I should have been more clear: I haven't tested to see whether it was the whitelist items that allowed me to get in, or if it was the fact that I turned off OpenDNS temporarily. Or neither.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.