Been working on this for a few hours. Please know that I am not networking savvy. Any help is sincerely appreciated.
My ISP uses Level 3 as their DNS service. To bypass this I understand I need to use DNSCrypt. I've used posts toward the middle and bottom of this thread for reference: https://support.opendns.com/entries/21786854-OpenDNS-Not-Working-Again-Help-
My goal is simply to get OpenDNS to work by hiding DNS requests from my ISP's DNS service via DNSCrypt. Took me a while to sort out what to try, but at this point here's what I've done.
• Set preferred DNS server in router as local machine internal IP (192.168.0.100)
• Set preferred DNS server under local machine TCP/IPv4 properties to router (192.168.0.1)
• Ran the following in cmd as admin: cd "C:\Program Files\DNSCrypt\bin"
• Ran the following in cmd as admin: dnscrypt-proxy.exe --resolver-name=dnscrypt.eu-nl --resolvers-list="C:\Program Files\DNSCrypt\bin\dnscrypt-resolvers.csv" --local-address=192.168.0.1 --install
• Ran the following in cmd as admin: dnscrypt-proxy.exe --resolver-name=dnscrypt.eu-nl --resolvers-list="C:\Program Files\DNSCrypt\bin\dnscrypt-resolvers.csv" --local-address=192.168.0.100
(I inferred the local machine internal IP above, it seems to work, hope I got that part right.)
• I'd then see: [NOTICE] Proxying from 192.168.0.100:53 to 220.127.116.11:443
(Tried with several hosts. With each, this hangs for several minutes and does not seem to complete.)
• Ran the following in cmd as admin: ipconfig /flushdns
• Verified setting at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\dnscrypt-proxy\Parameters\LocalAddress as 192.168.0.1
• Cleared browser DNS cache and restarted
• Deselected Block internal IP addresses under my network's security settings at https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings
• Tested at: https://store.opendns.com/settings
(No dice: "Oops. You're not using OpenDNS yet.")
nslookup -port=443 -type=txt debug.opendns.com
.. times out.
I'm using my own router and modem.
I'm lost at this point. Please let me know what other information I should provide, and thanks again for any help.
Please sign in to leave a comment.