Open DNS Not Blocking Domains

Comments

6 comments

  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    Your current IP address (174.45.243.193 when you executed the command) was definitely not registered at https://dashboard.opendns.com/settings/ at this time.  Therefore OpenDNS could not associate your DNS queries with your dashboard and its settings.

    It looks like your Updater doesn't do its job for whatever reason. 
    Check the logs in "%appdata%\OpenDNS Updater" to see what the reason may be.  Open the log.txt with WordPad, not with NotePad, because it is in UNIX format.

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    cito1

    I followed all the instructions but the program does not seem to be doing anything.  It seemed very easy to set up but then nothing happens.  Nothing is filtered.  

    What am I missing?

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    @boan

    Are you the same person as s0jrn3r, or why do you post in this thread instead of opening your own?

    "What am I missing?"

    You missed to copy & paste the complete plain text output of the following diagnostic commands to here, same as s0jrn3r did before, so that I could see what's going on.

    nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
    nslookup whoami.akamai.net.
    netsh interface ipv4 show config (Windows only)

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    cito1

    Hi Rotblitz, 

    I'm not the same person but your suggestion is a good one. I'll start a new post.  I just need to figure out how to set this thing up right...

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    s0jrn3r

    I apologize for the extreme delay in this response, but I wanted to affirm the initial proposed solution of reviewing the OpenDNS Updater logs, per rotblitz's suggestion.

    Located at "%appdata%\OpenDNS Updater", or \Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenDNS Updater\

    There are two log files, ipupdateslog.txt and log.txt. The ipupdateslog should have an entry for every update given, ordered by date, which mine stopped a long while ago. Then opening up the main log file (which is large), at the end (newest posting) I found multiple errors about 'nohost' responses for the update. It additionally had "typo exceptions".

    I looked at the settings on OpenDNS updater and I had "Send Dns-O-Matic updates" checked, which was the source of the issue. (I am unsure when I checked it, but I was not setup for Dns-O-Matic on my current router) Unchecking that box immediately allowed the next update to log a 'good' response, and the ipupdateslog showed a completed update.

    All things are working as they should now too. Everything that should be blocked, is.

    Thank you for the help rotblitz. Hope these details help others as well.

    Rock on.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    rotblitz

    Welcome, and glad to hear!

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.