My family comes from an ethnicity that uses a different character set than what's contained in Latin (ASCII). I've noticed that I can't seem to block domains with international characters in them. For example, try adding this to your block list:
If you try to visit the HTTP site for that domain after blocking and waiting the requisite three minutes that OpenDNS instructs you to, you will unfortunately be transferred there and subsequently forwarded to https://icom.museum/en/.
So, I took the next step of converting the internationalized name to it's ASCII equivalent using this Verisign tool which resulted in: xn--80aaxgrpt.icom.museum
Similar result. If you add that ASCII-ized domain name to the block list it auto-translates it to the internationalized name version and saves the entry in the block list. The DNS lookup for that domain is still not blocked.
Seems like maybe OpenDNS is doing something wrong here, but if it's really my issue then please let me know how to accomplish a successful block.
Here is a list of IDNs that can be used to try this out (not all work, so start from the bottom of the list).
Please sign in to leave a comment.