bad auth

Comments

20 comments

  • Avatar
    Permanently deleted user (Edited )

    I am having the same issue.  Please let me know if you get a response on your ticket.

    Edit - I've opened a ticket as well

    1
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    unisoftuk (Edited )

    Slightly annoying as thought it was Merlin's new firmware in testing that was the cause as a previous version had to content with dnsomatic API/Parameter changes.

    Let's hope dnsomatic/opendns fix this as many routers that update DDNS are likely to be failing right now.

    Static IP not an option for home users in many cases from various ISP's, especially if you have a choice of just ONE gigabit provider because the rest are on slower ancient copper.

    1
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    llcoolj40

    I am having the same problem.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    basilh (Edited )

    I've been pulling my hair out since yesterday. Seems I'm not the only one. Any update yet?

    Been working reliably for years on my trusty FRITZ!Box, but now failing with BADAUTH. I can confirm this is an account issue as I tried working around this by using a Windows updater, but got the same issue with credentials.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    txrss (Edited )

    I am having the same issue since yesterday as well. It is a DNS-O-Matic issue somewhere on their side. This is the result from a command line curl to their API: 

    < HTTP/2 401
    < date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 03:13:47 GMT
    < server: opendns
    * Authentication problem. Ignoring this.
    < www-authenticate: Basic realm="DNSOMATIC"
    < content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    < x-envoy-upstream-service-time: 42
    < x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
    < x-ingress-point: dfw
    < strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains

    It is not an "unauthorized" error which implies wrong user/password, but some other authorization issue they are having. My config has not changed in months and stopped working yesterday on its own. 

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    telnetdoogie

    No update from my ticket yet. Glad I’m not alone

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    telnetdoogie

    response from support today...

    "We are currently looking into this issue and will update you as soon as we have more information."

    ...they're working on it.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    basilh

    DNS-O-Matic is a free service. When it works, it works brilliantly. However, when there's a problem, being free, there's no well defined SLA. This is day 3 of the issue. If you're doing anything serious, like serving customer websites, DNS-O-Matic represents a weak link in the chain.

    This incident has made me realise that I need to switch to a static IP, and I have. I've moved from a very stressful situation not knowing when the broken DNS-O-Matic service would be restored, with no ongoing updates from OpenDNS support or Cisco, the parent company, to great relief for myself several small business customers I service. It's a hard lesson to learn.

    Once DNS-O-Matic services are restored, I'll still use it in non-critical situations e.g. access to an offsite backup site, but I will definitely avoid it where I have SLAs with my own customers. The AUD$10 per month for a static IP is well worth the investment compared to the stress and worry of being dependent on a third party providing a free service.  

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    bd0426

    Add one more to the list... +1, same here.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    michael_george001

    And add another one to the list...

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    raviks

    +1. 

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    tylormiller.com

    +1

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    robertot

    +1

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Permanently deleted user

    I received a response from support:

    Are you still having this problem?
    If so can you try updating your router/application to send updates to updates.dnsomatic.com using port 443 ( https://updates.dnsomatic.com )? We no longer allow updates to this service using port 80.


    In addition, there are a few characters that cannot be used in passwords used in the Dynamic IP Updater Client. These characters include:^, &, , ~, `,and %. Please change your OpenDNS account password so you don't include any of non-alphanumeric characters: https://dashboard.opendns.com/myaccount/password

    As well, please also check to make sure that the system time and time zone are correct on your computer.


    My Response:

    Thanks - I am still having the problem.  My password does not included any of the characters you mention.  I was already using port 443 (https://).  A number of other folks are having the same issue and posting in the OpenDNS support forums:
     

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    hlr4

    +1

     

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • 0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Paul (Edited )

    Me too. No changes on my end, it just stopped working. Tried ddclient also and same "badauth" response.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    mstrong12

    Working again for me.  Using a Draytek 2862.  Was getting bad auth prior.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    robertot

    I can confirm. It works again. Both ddclient and inadyn (under linux) can update the DDNS.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    llcoolj40

    It is working for me now too!

    Thanks everyone and have a good Christmas!

    Lee

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.